Let Us Be Your Voice For Justice

Taking action when your ex ignores child custody arrangements

On Behalf of | Nov 16, 2021 | Child Custody

Arranging child custody may require you to compromise as you assess the best outcome on behalf of your children. Given that the agreement needs to meet the needs of several parties, it may take time to arrange.

The frustration of dealing with an ex who refuses to comply with the order or simply disregards his or her responsibilities may inconvenience you and threaten your sanity. Knowing how to respond in this situation may help you determine what you need to do to make a change.

Put your children first

Your children will undoubtedly feel the pressure of your changing relationship. In fact, your divorce may directly affect your children’s ability to focus in school, as well as their behavioral and emotional health. Recognizing that they need you now more than ever may encourage you to put differences aside and focus on being the best parent you can be.

Negotiating a custody agreement is a process that the courts take seriously. According to The Florida Senate, courts put a lot of emphasis on the best interests of your children including the following:

  • Individual parent-child relationships
  • Parental stability and emotional health
  • Availability of safe home environment
  • The physical and mental health of each child

Know your options

Balancing your career, single parenting, your children’s extracurriculars and your personal needs often requires schedules and routines to accomplish. Not being able to rely on your ex to follow court orders may increase your stress and create uncertainty for your children. Violation of a custody order is breaking the law and can result in criminal punishments. In such a circumstance, consider asking your attorney to help you write a letter to your ex where you can express your concerns. If you continue to notice problems, you may need to request modifications to the agreement or file a motion in court alleging contempt.

You deserve the support of your ex in raising and caring for your children. Working with an attorney can help you arrange a mutually-beneficial custody agreement. If you encounter problems, an attorney can direct you toward potential solutions to hopefully alleviate your frustration.


FindLaw Network
The Florida Bar Board Certified Business Litigation
Polk County Trial Lawyers Association, Inc. President
AVVO Rating 9.1 Top Attorney Family
The Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Law
The Florida Bar Board Certified Chairperson Civil Trial Certification Commission
Great Seal of the State of Florida In God We Trust Chairperson 10th Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission
AV Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
Rated by Super Lawyers Thomas C. Saunders SuperLawyers.com