Slip and Fall Accidents Involving Elevators and Escalators
By Saunders Law Group on June 06, 2018
Slip and fall accidents are common causes of personal injury. Many people slip and fall without any real consequences. However, a serious slip or fall can lead to severe injuries. This is especially true if a person falls from a significant height, as can be the case when an escalator is involved.
Elevator and escalator slip and fall accidents can result in injuries that cause temporary or permanent disability. These injuries can lead to medical expenses, time away from work, and pain and suffering. All of these damages should be covered by the person or party responsible for the accident.
In the case of elevator and escalator slip and fall accidents, the liable party is often the property owner where the accident took place. The experienced attorneys at Saunders Law Group in the Bartow, FL area are happy to help slip and fall accident victims collect the compensation they are due after being injured by an elevator or escalator.
Causes of Escalator and Elevator Slips and Falls
Elevators and escalators involve many mechanics that need to work properly to ensure these devices function safely and as intended. Some of the most common causes of escalator and elevator accidents include:
- A garment or shoelace getting caught by an escalator gear, or being stuck in an excessively large gap between the stairs and the retaining sides of the escalator
- A garment or shoelace catching in the grate at the top or bottom of the escalator
- Imperfections in the grating on escalator stairs catching shoes (such as high heels), or causing a rider to trip or slip
- A lack of safety markings to identify divisions between steps, and the points where the steps enter and exit the escalator grate
- An elevator cab coming to a stop where it is not even with the floor, thus creating a tripping hazard
- Wet or slippery surface on escalator steps or inside an elevator
Slip and Fall Injuries
Slips and falls can lead to any number of injuries. While some may be more minor in nature, such as bruises or lacerations, others can have more serious consequences. Slips and falls have the potential to result in the following severe injuries, especially if someone is falling from the height of an escalator:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Concussion or other brain injuries
- Head trauma
- Back or spinal cord injury
Liability for a slip and fall accident involving an elevator or escalator will depend on the details of each case. However, there are strict regulations in place regarding how escalators and elevators need to be inspected and maintained.
If there is an elevator or escalator malfunction, or any type of damage that causes the slip or fall, it is highly likely that the property owner can be held liable for all damages stemming from the injury. Our attorneys will collect the evidence that is necessary to prove liability so that our clients collect the financial compensation they are due.
If you’ve been injured in a slip or fall accident, the experienced attorneys at Saunders Law Group can fight for the financial compensation you are due. Contact us at your earliest convenience to discuss the details of your case and learn your best course of legal action.
Related to This
You can trust your family, business, or personal injury case to our compassionate but objective attorneys.Saunders Law Group